Encouragement and homework from Gathering 1
As we gathered together for the first time last Sunday, I found myself grateful for so many who are willing to take an intentional step into a deeper, life-changing love relationship with the Trinity. At the same time, as I looked at the variety of people assembled around the tables, I was also reminded that each of you are in different places, and that God will meet you right where you are. So I want to encourage you to trust Him with your journey. And I know of no better encouragement than the words of Teilhard de Chardin:
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.
Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.
Such wise words. I hope they encourage you as much as they do me!
I also want to remind you of some ‘homework’ that is designed to help you cooperate with what God wants to do in and through you in the coming year. I encourage you to engage this with a tremendous amount of grace. The goal isn’t to ‘get it done’ as much as it is to allow these tools to open your heart to God’s grace. So be graceful with yourself as well.
- Ten minutes of silence per day. This can be spent in a ‘breath prayer’ as Sheryl showed us: Your love (breathe in) is here (breath out). Or… you can simply be silent and let your world slow down for just a few moments. It’s your time and space. Do what is helpful.
- Do the Listening Exercise at least one time per week.
- Read The Sacred Romance: chapter 1.
- Join us for corporate spiritual exercises (20 minutes) Wednesday mornings at 6:30 AM in the Library or Wednesday evenings at 6:00 PM in SEB room 223
- Read The Sacred Romance
- Read The Journey of Desire
- Read The Holy Longing
As always, if you have any questions, please let me know.